I don't know about you, but everytime we beat a team with proven sluggers by more than one run, I feel really good. Griffey. Dunn. Phillips (kind of). A rookie pitcher making his second start after shooting through our entire minor league system in one half season shut them all down.
Don't get me wrong. The Reds are not a good team, and they don't have a great probability of becoming good in the near future. But like I said, we're a team of pretty much nobodies, at least on the national stage, and we scrap.

We didn't address the trade deadline, mostly because there wasn't a lot to write about. Kvetch about non deals all you like, Jimbo's letting it ride. After a day of thinking about it, I'm still not sure how I feel. There are two distinct camps on this subject.

1) Relievers like Chad and Jon don't come around all the time, and we control their salaries for 2-3 years, and are just the kind of players we'll need once we get steady SP's and a better offense.

2) Relievers like Chad and Jon are a dime a dozen. We need hitting prospects, no matter how far from the bigs they are. In a reliever hungry trading climate, Jimbo shouldn't have had a problem getting some potential hitters with those two chips. That and Chad is going to give me a heart attack soon.

I'm probably leaning more towards 2, but I see merit in Camp 1. For the sake of being a sports blogger, I need to be definitive. So, ROAR JIMBO. YOU SCREWED UP.

Good game tonight, Kearns showed flashes of what he needs to be in order to be a part of the long term solution. Lannan didn't dazzle, but did fairly well. Some mental errors, but as long as we get the sweep, I'll forget about them.

This blogs unofficial goal is to not finish last in the NL East. We already lost our talisman, GUZMANIA2K7, and we want some fried fish in September. So, from now on, we want you to watch the standings, and to watch the Fish flounder (ha). FRY THE FISH.

2 comments:

I guess I lean toward the first camp. If relievers Cordero and Rauch are a dime a dozen, has there been so much interest in them?

August 4, 2007 at 11:43 PM  

I think there was interest in them because of who they played for, and the assumption they'd come cheaply from a last place team with no real need of a setup/closer. They were wrong.

August 5, 2007 at 10:54 AM  

Newer Post Older Post Home