Two Cents

Everyone else is talking about the Elijah Dukes trade so peer pressure mandates that I chime in with an opinion on it. The way I see it is this: I'd be pissed too if I had to play for the Rays. Look, how angry would you be if you toiled years in the minors only to be brought up to a major league team who has never even sniffed third place in their division. Now I'm not advocating killing your kids unless they really piss you off, but I'm ready to give the man a chance. We're batting 100% in restoration projects so far so why not.

Message to all you Dukes haters out there (this means you, every blog in the Natosphere Update: Except Banks of the Anacostia):

Let he who has not sinned, cast the first stone. We all have done, or know someone who has done some really stupid things. Maybe you got your girlfriend pregnant in high school, maybe you drove drunk and crashed your car. I don't know. All I know is that you weren't poor (allegedly), given millions of dollars and then told to never do anything wrong...ever...or else. Short leash...fine, but you don't know the man. So I'm giving him a clean slate, as should you all!

4 comments:

Well said. I will soon be announcing you are my new favorite Nationals blog.

http://www.bugsandcranks.com/author/david-chalk/

December 3, 2007 at 10:31 PM  

If David Chalk likes you, you must be doing something wrong. Look, I don't know Charlie Manson either, and he hasn't killed anybody in the last few decades, but he's still not on my short list for babysitting services, know what I mean?

What's done is done, and Elijah's here now, but giving the kid a clean slate is not the same as willfully ignoring the things he's done. And knocking up your high school girlfriend ain't exactly equivalent to knocking up a relative's high school aged foster child. So go easy on the holier than thou.

December 4, 2007 at 12:32 AM  

I think kyle's point is that what's done is done, and the man is a baseball player, and we're baseball fans.
He doesn't have to pass a character test, or sell girl scout cookies. He has to hit for power, get on base, and play good defense.
I will cheer for him if he plays hard. That will be the beginning and end of my criteria for fandom. If we were to make a player's criminal history the main variable in whether we cheer or not, there'd be silence in Baltimore when Ray Lewis makes a tackle. But there's not.
And I say his holier than thou was more of a counter balance to sitting-in-judgment of all the blogs writing on the topic.
thanks for visiting.

December 4, 2007 at 12:37 AM  

Holier than thou implies that one is saying he is above someone else. I am doing the opposite, I recognize that people have faults and am willing to forgive and forget, that's all

December 4, 2007 at 9:36 AM  

Newer Post Older Post Home