What's in a name

Winter meetings are about to start which means its once again time for Jim Bowden to get beat up in the media over his wheeling and dealing tactics. But this is not what this post is going to be about. That I reserve for another time...if I feel like it.

No, this post is about the new stadium. Since I'm too poor and live too far away from season tickets, I've got no gripes about ticket locations or prices or anything of that sort. What I really wanna know is what our new home is going to be called. Right now we're still stuck with boring old Nationals Park. Now my vision isn't so clouded as to think that the Lerner's have enough money not to sell the park's naming rights, therefore naming it after some historic figure of Washington baseball/political history. (Johnson Park anyone? Perhaps Banneker Field) But I sincerely hope they think of the fans even the slightest when they make their decision as to who to sell the park to. To demonstrate my point, I've complied the list of what I think may be the 5 worst names for professional sports stadiums. I'm also included offers that teams received for naming rights.

1. Pink Taco Field
2. University of Phoenix Stadium (The name chosen over Pink Taco)
3. Gaylord Entertainment Center
4. Angel Stadium of Anaheim
5. Jobing.com Arena

I'm not going to even discuss the first one. Parents, if your kids ask, tell them its a fast food chain; that's it, that's all. Second on our list looks innocuous at first...until you realize that its not on the campus of UoP, but is the stadium of the Arizona Cardinals professional football franchise, thus creating mass confusion for us all. As for the third spot on this list, I know its juvenile and stupid to laugh at the name Gaylord, but you were thinking it too. Number 4, thank you for reminding us that you're in Anaheim and not LA but that you want to be from LA but not lose your roots in Anaheim...of Anaheim. Last but not least, I'm not sure what Jobing is, but I'm pretty sure its illegal in at least 5 states.

So c'mon Ted, don't let me down. Let me walk to the park with my dignity intact, which is much more than I can say for the residents of Phoenix.

If you have any ideas for what you think we should name the new park, send em in, we'd love to hear from you. Plus, we'll pass them on the owners, as soon as I tape the list to a brick and throw it threw Ted Lerners' window.

3 comments:

how about Rush Limbaugh Stadium lol

November 30, 2007 at 8:07 PM  

actually the EIB network stadium

December 1, 2007 at 4:06 AM  

Thannks for this blog post

October 26, 2023 at 5:25 AM  

Newer Post Older Post Home